Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why I started walking up the hill...

There is a hill I hike when things are good or very bad or on days when I just need to get perspective.  This place is not too far from home. It is actually a series of several steep hills strung together by a trail that winds through the grassy California hills -so it's not an easy hike for a person like me...but the clean air and the final vista over the South Bay are worth the huffing and puffing.

I'm not alone on my hike...my trusty dog Pacheco accompanies me -which comes in handy on some of the steeper slopes.  Pacheco is an eager dog, and his usual sport of lizard hunting pulls me along on the way up.  There are usually other hikers there and bikers too...so it's not a total solitude, but close enough. 

I've hiked this trail on and off during all the seasons-from green and fresh to brown and muddy. It's a familiar comfort to make my way to the top-with a familiar constant breeze that helps clarify my thots...so it dosn't surprise to  me when hiking this trail takes on a more profound meaning in my life.

You see it was very near to September 10th, 2010...when I got laid off from a job I really enjoyed-- that I hiked to the top of the hill and looked out and really, deeply and tramatically asked "Why God...why did I have to get laid off....again?"  In the short course of 10 months I went from loosing one job that I loved dearly- to landing a new job-and again within 5 months...when I just started to get ahold of being competent at a new place...was let go with about 250 other people.  Standing there looking over Silicon Valley I shook my head...I guess lightening can strike twice....so Lord have mercy on me.  I cried and sniveled most of the way to the top (Thankfully not seeing a single soul)....and my only comfort-other than pouring out this sorrow to God was a large yellow butterfly that kept circling me on the top of the hill....

On that day....I decided that I would have to make this trek...100 trips up the Hill...even longer if necessary-until I came to the place of EMPLOYMENT.  This blog is dedicated to all those people who have walked this road -in this economy...the unemployed and the underemployed...who in essence- are hiking with me.  I invite to you to come along on each trip...to discover what I find on each journey-and to share the life that wraps itself around  me as I make my way to the summit....

Welcome fellow "hikers"...I hope you find a breath of fresh air in our journey together.

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment