Thursday, January 13, 2011

Trip 3...still wheezing

Trip 3

October-a glorious time in California.  Still sorrowing tho... I'm really dragging my wagon up the hill this time. Being sad like this feels like I need to be plugged into an energy source like a wall socket.  Starting to move from mourning to regroup. 

I worked in the green sector in my last two jobs, and I have to say I loved being "in the groove"  -people like to talk about energy conservation and things like biofuels, wind, recycling and solar....it was cool work.  I moved into this sector as I saw the economy move from greed to implosion...the reality is even this sector is having serious drag  issues due to federal and state debt loads.  So all you greenie wanna bee's-- be aware and do your homework on the net...there is a good dose of instability in this sector right now as well...

About getting work:  A word about sector...the reality is that if you are in sectors like construction or say archetect design work...it is probably time to figure what else you could do.  These sectors will not be recovering anytime soon-Green is still a pretty good option for a roll over.  There are alot of really great short term classes where you don't have to splash much cash to retool-so there is hope...

Keep looking for elastic-I mean really dig through your sock drawer of employement options to figure out what that might be for you.  By elastic-I mean of course that lovely economic term that means that a particular line of work is less impacted by the volatility of an unstable recessionary country/world economy.  For example-groceries and haircuts ( now just apply that to something close to what you do)  Don't expect this to jump out of thin air hiking buddie...ya gotta talk to folks...ya gotta research on the web.  YA GOTTA READ THE ECONOMIST MAGAZINE*!



Life around the trip:  I would like to say that I'm very very thankful that I have a very hardworking husband-who puts in very long and good hours.  I realize that I still have a primary breadwinner in the home and am aware of the extreme hardship that happens when the primary breadwinner gets laid off.  $$$ is tight, but I am a fairly good manager of tight $$$ and plus I started out after college with limited funds-so we can adjust to frugal for as long as it takes...and eat more vegetables.

Cheap Thrills: Adventures for the Unemployed - *Of course the least expensive way to read this magazine is at your library or to borrow editions from generous friends.  I usually go to someplace like http://www.discountmags.com/ to get a subscription at a reduced rate.

Ya gotta read hiking buddie-at least one magazine on general biz trends like Inc. Mag or online places for job hunting ideas http://www.blogs.com/topten/top-10-blogs-for-job-seekers  . I also read in my "areas for future employment" so for me it's Vegetarian Times, Solar Today etc.

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment